Alex and I
Myself, Gina, Andrea, Alex and his wife Melissa
Last weekend I went to Scottsdale for the return of Alex Austin, four days of yoga and friends= heaven. I’ve been meaning to blog about my weekend but have been experiencing a serious case of writers block as I’ve been trying to explain Alex Austin, who he is and why he’s loved by so many. So I’m going to go with the first word I think of, light. “Light gives of itself freely, filling all available space. It does not seek anything in return; it asks not whether you are friend or foe. It gives of itself and is not thereby diminished. ” Alex is an inspiring yoga teacher and person and is the reason I (as i’m sure many others) decided to further my practice and become a teacher. I knew that if I could pass on to one person what Alex has to hundreds, I’ll have done my part in spreading the love.
Thank you for sharing your gift, love, and light.
I feel like yawning every time I look at pictures of myself. I need a serious boost of edge. For me the easiest way to spice things up is with novelty jackets, shoes, and accessories. Here are a couple of pieces that would add a little something to the clothes already residing in my closet.
1. Groove is in Cardigan $104. Modcloth.com
2. Wool Plated Skirt Blazer $172. Asos. com
3. Tribal Drop Earing $100, House of Harlow. RevolveClothing.com
4. Low Luv Erin Wasson Welded Cuff $100. RevolveClothing.com
5. Knitted Open Knit Poncho $45. Topshop.com
6. Cleobella Nevaeh Drawstring bag $242. Shopbop.com
7. Boutique 9 Women’s Rizing Oxford $71. Endless.com
8. Extra Wide Gossip Girl Turban $75. Jenniferoullette.com
9. Deepa Gurnani Triple Loop Headband $47. Mywardrobe.com
It is important to precede an advanced posture such as Eka Pada Rajakapotasana with postures that open up the main component parts, in this case those would be the hip flexors, back, chest and shoulders. I would lead up to this asana with postures like Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downdog), Pincha Mayurasana (forearm stand), Ustrasana (Camel), Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (UpDog), Urdhva Dhanurasana (wheel) and Kapotasana (pigeon). Once the shoulders, chest and hips are open and the back is warmed up I would feel comfortable coming into this posture.
Imagine starting in pigeon on the right side, bring the front foot in closer to the body and bend the left knee. With your hips squared off, neither leaning off to the left or right, reach your left hand back to grab the outside edge of your left foot. Inhale, stretch the right arm upward; then exhale, bend the elbow, and reach back and grasp the inside of the left foot, drawing the sole of the foot as close to the head as possible. Holding the posture for several breaths before slowly releasing and doing on the other side.
William Carlos Williams wrote poems on a notebook
small enough to fit in his breast pocket on his medical rounds.
Yasunari Kawabata wrote stories small enough to fit in the palm of the hand.
The body writes stories small enough to fit in the tiniest cells.
Every centimeter has a different beginning and end.
Day by day the gap between the beginning and the end
thigh and floor
heel and head
the narrative writ large on each small movement.
Start small and the world expands
as Goeth said, but start anyway.
In beginnings there is the magic of yes.
I am completely obsessed with everything Kourtney Kardashian wears. She is so effortlessly cool and sexy and mixes high fashion with H&M, making her looks completely doable. My only request would be that she put down that little baby of hers so I can get a better look at her clothes. Here’s a couple of my favorite looks, enjoy and use as inspiration
1. LNA t-shirt
2. Mcginn blazer
3. H&M pants
4. Benjamin sunglasses
5. Hermes bangle
1. American Apparel leggings
2. LNA t-shirt
3. Muuba jacket
4. Chinese Laundry boots.
1. H&M sweater
2. Myne skirt,
3. Leopard Fendi Platforms
4. Chanel purse
1. Herve Leger coat
2. Citizens of Humanity jeans
3. Chanel boots and Scala hat
1. Leyendecker sweater
2. American Apparel leggings
3. Chinese Laundry boots
4. Tom Ford sunglasses.
1. H+M dress
2. Prada belt
3. Christian Louboutin pumps
I believe men secretly love their girlfriend’s or wife’s purses, they moan and groan when we force them to hold it for a moment but they love that we carry around a bag filled with goodies. Whatever need they might have can be solved with a dip into the depths of a woman’s purse. Here are some staple carryalls I’ve been eyeing. I need to narrow it down to one fall bag purchase, I’m leaning towards color, maybe the navy or red?
1. Camden Jade Satchel, Cole Haan $398. LunaBoston.com
2. Jade Satchel, Cole Haan $348. NeimanMarcus.
3. MZ Wallce Elsa bag $325. Museten.com.
4. Nanette Lepore Leather Strap Tote $495. NeimanMarcus.
5. Hype Black Leather Natasha Fringe Cross Body $206. Bluefly.com
6. Monserat de Lucca Dark Blue large top handle bag $252. Bluefly.com
7. Rebecca Minkoff red leather tassle tie bag $357. Bluefly.com
8. Rachel Nasvik brown leather pheobe medium bag $309. Bluefly.com